Nebraska FOP in the Legislature – Working for Our Members
The Nebraska FOP has a full time lobbyist in Lincoln, who attends legislative meetings every day and reports back to our organization on issues affecting us. He monitors the legislative bills as they are introduced, keeps us up to date on the hearing schedules, arranges meetings with the Senators to discuss our legislation and other legislative bills. Our lobbyist also ensures that we have sponsors to introduce our legislation and works on obtaining priority designation for our legislative package.
The Nebraska State FOP Lodge worked on the following pieces of legislation for 2016, we drafted the following bills, worked to find sponsors for the bills and testified in the committee hearings on our introduced legislation:
- LB 836 Adopt the Line of Duty Compensation Act, introduced by Senator Mello. This bill would provide a Line of Duty Death Benefit for the family or estate of Fallen Officers.
- LB 906 Adopt the Law Enforcement Education Act authorizing tuition waivers for Police Officers. The bill was heard in committee and has priority designation.
- LB 920 Add a member to the Nebraska Police Standards Advisory Council with the rank of Sergeant or below. We are working on amending the current statue to allow for a Police Officer or Sergeant to be on the board so that line officers would be represented on the board.
In addition to introducing legislation we also were approached to provide advice and direction on Legislation:
- LB 1000 Requires certain law enforcement agencies to adopt policies on the use of Body worn Cameras, provide that recordings from such cameras are not public records and prohibit certain conduct involving such recordings. The State FOP along with other Law Enforcement Departments were contacted by Senator Mello to provide direction and feedback on the bill. We reviewed his initial bill and worked on language changes that we felt were in the best interest of the Officers wearing the camera’s and their agencies.
We also testified against several pieces of legislation:
- LB 738 Cell Site Simulator Bill introduced by Senator Ebke, we spoke to her on this piece of legislation and the problems that it would cause in certain investigations, we also sent in a letter of opposition during the committee hearing.
- LB 1044 Elimination of the CIR, another bill introduced by Senator Ebke, the State FOP sent in letters of opposition as well as testifying in opposition to the bill.